"Great things happen when we come together" are the opening words for this year's Vacation Bible Camp theme song. The words have been a constant companion for the past few months. Although they have become rote, the sentiment has not. From June 22nd- 26th, we will welcome more than 110 children to our campus... and great things are going to happen! Over half of them are under the age of six and more than a third are not church members. What will they experience at VBC?
This year we’re learning about Jesus and his childhood in Nazareth. Our wonderful volunteers will make sure that scripture becomes a walking, talking reality for all of our participants. During the week we will spend 15 hours learning, playing, and serving together (that’s the equivalent of almost four months of Sunday School!). For many children, their understanding of church expands in those 15 hours. Youth volunteers model what it means to grow up in the church. Friendships are made and strengthened. Children come to know what it means to belong in the family of God. Adult volunteers teach about hospitality and share God’s love in each interaction. All great things! Why not join us?
How You Can Help:
1. Come! We will welcome 50 four and five year olds! That means the more help we have, the smoother the week will go. We’re blessed with an amazing group of volunteers who have already dedicated time and energy to make camp happen. We would love to have you with us as well. There are many different ways to volunteer: help organize snacks, lead a craft, welcome people to our campus, or shepherd small groups from activity to activity.
2. Share! We will be transforming the Ministries Center into 1st Century Nazareth. Do you have anything that could help with that transformation? We'd love to have or borrow:
- Woven blankets or rugs (that can handle being around kids for the week)
- Large pieces of burlap or similar cloth (even plain old sheets are great)
- Tarps or ground covers to help protect the church
- Planters or pots
- Potted palms or similar (again, plants that can stand a little abuse)
- Old-time tools
Please be sure to label anything you would like to have returned with your name and phone number. All of these items can be dropped off between June 14th and June 19th in the church gym (there will be dedicated space) and retrieved June 27th-30th. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
3. Set-Up / Clean-Up!
Tuesday, June 16th, 3:00-7:00 p.m. and Wednesday, June 17th, 3:00-7:00 p.m. Come to the first floor of Education Building and help put together craft kits, organize supplies, paint a few sets, and more.
Thursday, June 18th, 4:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.; Friday, June 19th, 10:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; Saturday, June 20th, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: Join us for decorating and setting up.
Friday, June 26th, 1:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m.: Clean-up.
Last but not least, please be in prayer for the children, families and volunteers who will participate in VBC this year!