Confirmation is an exciting time in the life of our congregation’s 8th graders. Confirmands join other young people for Youth Gathering on Sunday morning, and they meet in the Gloucester Room from 10:30-11:15 a.m. for an in-depth exploration of what it means to live into the baptismal covenant. Each Confirmand is paired with a Confirmation Mentor who walks with them throughout the yearlong confirmation journey; providing spiritual, emotional and practical support along the way.
FAMILY VIDEO DISCUSSION GUIDE
BMPC’s Confirmation curriculum includes videos that accompany each lesson. These videos provide a helpful entry point into theological discussion and formation for youth and families who are committed to exploring the ins-and-outs of the Christian Faith. Confirmands are expected to watch the following videos and discuss the accompanying questions with their families by the assigned dates.
All Confirmation videos, forms and schedules can be found in the “For Mentors & Families” Google Drive. The link will be sent to all of you at the beginning of the Confirmation year. You can access the drive here.
- What Is Confirmation?
— September 5, 2018
- What is at the heart of each BIG Question?
- Which BIG Question do you think is most important?
- What do you think God expects of young Christians today?
- How Do We Know and Trust God?
— September 23, 2018
- What words does Aisha use to describe her experience of God?
- What has led Aisha to trust in God’s grace and mercy?
- Which Bible person does Aisha say reminds her to trust God’s faithfulness? Which Bible person, story, or stories reminds you to trust in God?
- What is Sin and How Do We Turn from It?
— October 14 & 21, 2018
- How do you react to hearing that the health of Peruvians in La Oroya is directly related to things you buy and use?
- In what ways are you aware of the brokenness in the world, whether in your community or in other parts of our country and our world?
- Based on this video, who do we turn from sin and the power of evil?
- Who Is Your Lord?
— October 28 & November 11, 2018
- According to Linda, how does Jesus as Lord show us who God is?
- How does claiming Jesus as Lord and Savior reorient our lives to God?
- Based on this video, why should you follow Jesus as Lord?
- Who Is Your Savior?
— November 18 & 25, 2018
- According to Kate, how did Jesus minister to people? How can we think of his entire ministry as saving people?
- Kate contrasts pilgrims—people who follow Jesus by visiting holy sites and people who do what Jesus did in serving the poor and the oppressed. Which of these is true discipleship in Jesus’ name and why?
- Based on this video, why should you follow Jesus as Savior?
- What Does It Mean to Be a Disciple of Jesus?
— December 9, 2018
- In what way is listening for God’s voice being obedient to God?
- How do you listen for God’s voice?
- Do you think questioning the way things are in the church and in the world is being obedient to God? Explain.
- What Does It Mean to Show Christ’s Love?
— December 16, 2018 & January 20, 2019
- How does Corey’s church in Ely, Minnesota, show the love of Christ?
- How does Chris’s church in New York City show the love of Christ?
- How does Bryn Mawr Presbyterian Church show the love of Christ?
- Will You Devote Yourself to the Church’s Teaching?
— January 27 & February 10, 2019
- How would you describe the changes in Corey as he began to study the Bible and the church’s teachings?
- What Bible stories and other teachings of the church have influenced you?
- Will You Devote Yourself to the Church’s Fellowship?
— February 17 & 24, 2019
- Herbert says that Christians never walk alone, especially during times of suffering. What, in your experience, might support J. Herbert’s claim
- Who are the people in your church who have fed you and walked with you through your life of faith?
- How does your church function as part of the body of Christ?
- Will You Devote Yourself to the Breaking of Bread?
— March 10 & 17, 2019
- What does the breaking of bread mean for the work of the church? Can it be more than feeding and eating together? Explain.
- How is the sharing of meals a ministry at Okra Abbey?
- How is Okra Abbey ‘breaking the rules’ of traditional table fellowship?
- Will You Devote Yourself to Prayer?
— March 24 & April 28, 2019
- What role does prayer play in the life of Marissa’s congregation?
- How does prayer build up the church?
- In what way do you think all aspects of worship are prayer? Explain.
- Are you ready to be Confirmed?
—May 5, 2019
- Whose faith statement is the closest to what you believe? Explain.
- Whose faith statement is furthest from what you believe? Explain.
- If these people gave their faith statements to your church’s session, do you think they would be welcome to join your church? Why or why not?