Two and a half months ago I wrote to you about our “new normal.” So much has changed since then, and it seems that every day we create a “new normal.” Of all the activities I miss – being unmasked with friends, dining in favorite restaurants, or vacationing in faraway places – communal singing is at the top of my list. Tragically, experts believe that we will need a vaccine before we can sing safely indoors, in close proximity to one another. What is possible right now is singing outdoors, carefully distanced from one another and wearing a mask.
Earlier this month, 40 choir members and their friends and family gathered on the lawn in front of the Sanctuary for a socially distanced hymn sing. Great care was taken to set up chairs in a socially distanced fashion (six feet apart and staggered). Everyone wore a mask. With the first sounds of “Lift Every Voice” resounding across the lawn, I was overcome by emotion. We were together again, in a new norm! It was exhilarating to see the joy that spread across the front lawn of BMPC during our 30 minutes together.
There was so much enthusiasm for this experience that we have decided to offer a socially distanced hymn sing for the congregation. On Thurs., Aug. 13 at 7 p.m., you are invited to come to the front lawn of the church to sing some of the great hymns of our faith. We are thrilled for an opportunity to get the congregation together and singing, but it is important that all who attend follow these strict safety guidelines:
- If you are COVID-19 positive or are experiencing any virus-related symptoms, or if you have been in recent contact with others who are either symptomatic or have tested positive, you must stay home.
- Folding chairs will be set up six feet apart on the front lawn. Participants must maintain at least a six-foot distance from one another at all times. Chairs may not be picked up and moved within the setup.
- All participants must bring a mask that covers both the nose and mouth, and everyone is required to wear it at all times, including while singing.
- The hymn sing should last no more than 30 minutes. Restrooms will not be available for use, so please plan accordingly.
- As this event will be outside with no option for moving indoors, it will be held weather permitting. We will notify you if we need to cancel due to rain.
We can only accommodate 50 participants, and we need an accurate attendance record for this event, so if you are planning to attend, please register here by Mon., Aug. 9. Thank you!